Apollo: Youth in Medicine
Apollo was founded on the idea that high school students interested in the medical field need an outlet to connect them to opportunities present in the medical community such as the shadowing of local physicians in various specialties. Today, Apollo has expanded its horizons to offer an expansive educational experience to students who desire to dig deeper into medicine through physician shadowing, access to medical seminars, cadaver dissections, and other enhanced experiences.
The Apollo Program is Multistep
- New students representing multiple Delaware high schools attend a fall or spring education session that cover specific topics such as different specialties in medicine, the academic pathway to becoming a doctor, the Delaware Institute of Medical Educational Research (DIMER) program.
- Students receive HIPAA training through Apollo, enabling them to shadow in physicians’ offices appropriately.
- Apollo gives students access to dozens of shadowing spots offered by Delaware physicians across various specialties through The Match, which occurs multiple times per year.
- Apollo serves as a liaison to gain our students access to local medical seminars.
- Apollo students also have access to exclusive Apollo enhanced experiences, some of which are detailed below.
As an Enhanced Experience, Apollo hosts a Knee Cadaver Lab Dissection at the First State Surgery Center. Since it is typically reserved for graduate-level college students and physical therapists, we are excited to offer this experience to Apollo high school students.
This experience is wholly supported by Dr. Michael Axe (orthopaedic surgeon at First State Orthopaedics and Assoc Professor of Physical Therapy at the University of Delaware) who provides access to the cadavers. The event leaders are Randeep Kahlon, MD and David Bachkosky, RN, PA. The event time and location are donated by clinical staff of the First State Surgery Center.
Monday Meetups with Physicians
- “Epidemiology: So there’s a Pandemic, now what?” with Dr. Mia Papas
- “Mental Health Matters: Calming the Chaotic Mind During a Pandemic” with Dr. Shakesha Clark
- “Infectious Diseases: A Brief Introduction and a Corona Primer” with Dr. Emmons
- “Primary Care: Where It All Comes Together” with Dr. Tailor, Dr. Kushner, Dr. Henderson, and Dr. Modi
- “Apollo Advice from the Future: The Path to Medical School” with Raylin and Patrick
- “Apollo Advice from the Future: Medical Students” with Christina and Kelly
- “Livestream Perfusion and Dissection: Mouse Brain” with Dr. Gitcho
- “Livestream Dissection: Cadaver Knee” with Dr. Kahlon
THE APOLLO PROGRAM DURING COVID
While we were unable to facilitate a traditional shadowing experiences for Apollo students in the summer and fall of 2020, we committed to continuing our education program. Over the summer, we offered students a unique 4-week summer seminar, with exclusive talks and live activities from physicians and other trained medical professionals. Beginning in the fall and continuing through the spring, we offered a new type of online Apollo sessions that included not only lectures from physicians but also interactive activities designed to replicate aspects of shadowing in an online format. Apollo hopes to resume offering shadowing sessions in the summer of 2021 in accordance with public health guidelines.